Re: font-lock-fontify-block (was: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: font-lock-fontify-block (was: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 19:34:31 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 12:12:47 -0500
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > IMO, font-lock-fontify-block should have a keybinding.  IME, it's too
> > important to be left without one.
>
> Wow, I didn't expect that.  I was instead about to ask for details about
> the mentions of `font-lock-fontify-block' since I view it as a command
> which "should" be a no-op (barring bugs, obviously).
>
> I'd be quite interested to know more about those existing use cases (they
> may point to other misgivings of mine, as well).

When I edit code, I sometimes see it mis-fontified when I'm half-way
through editing a syntactic construct.  Unlike some others, I don't
expect font-lock to do a 110% perfect job in every situation, and
prefer a casual M-o M-o to having font-lock definition for a mode
perfected to a point where it becomes unbearably sluggish.