RE: [External] : How about making `set-minibuffer-window' obsolete?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : How about making `set-minibuffer-window' obsolete?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 19:42:11 +0000

> Does anybody have any objection to me making set-minibuffer-window
> obsolete?
>
> It's defined in src/minibuf.c, but not used by any C function, and it's
> not used by any Lisp in Emacs itself - the nearest to a use is a
> commented out occurrence in lisp/textmodes/ispell.el.
>
> This function just sets the C variable minibuf_window.  This variable is
> defined (by comment) to be the minibuffer window of the selected frame.
> So setting it to a random mini-window will cause nasty problems.
>
> Actually, I'd prefer just to remove the function entirely - but there's
> always the chance it's being used by some external library.
>
> So, any objections?

Thanks for asking.  Hope anyone who uses it gets a
chance to see the question and respond.  (How to know?)

I don't use it, so a priori no objection from me wrt
my code.

But is the _only_ reason to remove it that it's not
being used in the vanilla Emacs code?  If so, what's
the problem with keeping it?

If we keep it, maybe you'll want to add a comment
saying "setting it to a random mini-window will cause
nasty problems" or what you had in mind about that.