Re: What happened to TCO?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What happened to TCO?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 10:41:00 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 22:30:13 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > I see two different patches from 2012
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-12/msg00283.html
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-09/msg00477.html
> > Neither was merged but I don't see any reason presented in the mailing
> > list. Why were these changes not accepted?
>
> I think the lukewarm reception discouraged them.

Maybe.  This is for them to tell (and I hope that's not the case).

>From where I stand, these two didn't go in because the discussion
wasn't followed-up to get to that "LGTM" point where we can land the
feature.  Valid questions and considerations were brought up in each
of the two cases, but some of them were left unresolved.  Stefan
mentioned some of them.  In addition, I would like to remind us that
meanwhile we got the native-compilation feature, which is very close
to land on master, and one new question is how would these proposals
interact with it.

Feel free to respin one of those proposals based on current code, or
make some hybrid patch out of them.  If and when the issues discussed
then are resolved, I think this optimization will be a welcome
addition to Emacs.