Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 13:51:42 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 14:50:19 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 12:24:55 +0000
> > Cc: rudalics@gmx.at, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, jakanakaevangeli@chiru.no,
> >   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > So, when a new frame is created (possibly with emacsclient), and there
> > are now exactly two frames, we want to copy any minibuffers from the
> > other frame to the new one when that other frame is the initial frame.

> > I still can't find a way of identifying the initial frame for sure - it
> > lacks a 'display frame parameter, but so do ordinary frames on a tty.  It
> > lacks a 'client frame parameter, but so do ordinary frames when Emacs is
> > started normally and M-x server-start invoked.

> > Would it, perhaps, be useful to add another frame parameter
> > 'initial-frame to identify this frame?

> Can you tell how you are trying to "identify this frame"?  I'm afraid
> I don't see what is your difficulties in this regard.

The problem is that I can't come up with any way to identify the initial
frame reliably.  I can't see how to write

    bool initial_frame_p (struct frame *f) { .... }

That's why I suggested a new frame property.

Do you know of any means to identify this frame?  If so, please tell me
about it!  Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).