Re: CEDET maintainer

From: Fermin
Subject: Re: CEDET maintainer
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 22:54:32 +0100

Hello Stefan,

I think the first thing would be to start the copyright assignment
process so that your contributions can be incorporated into Emacs.
For that please fill the form below and send it to the FSF as instructed
so they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.
I already sign the papers for contributing to Emacs (mostly because I contributed to the GNU Emba repository).

I'm not very familiar with CEDET, but having converted it recently to
use lexical-binding, I'm a bit less lost in it, let's say.  So I'd be
happy to play the middle man between Emacs's `master` and you until we
feel comfortable giving you direct write access.
That's great!, thanks for that

- IIRC there were changes in the upstream CEDET code which still haven't
   been merged into Emacs's `master`.
Yes, I talked with Eric, and there are test and other code that wasn't merge, among related packages like cogre, which didn't merge into Emacs at the time, adapting the code to fit in master would in deed be really interesting.

  Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> has a branch of CEDET (sadly
   based on Emacs as of a year ago) at https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs
   which includes various interesting additions (such as an SQL
   grammar).  I recently started to try and work with him to start
   merging some of those changes into Emacs's `master`.

I talked with Anand privately about the changes, I think they can be a nice additions to CEDET, I can help with the merging process.

Regards,

Fermin

I'm proposing myself as a CEDET maintainer,
Excellent!

If the Emacs maintainers, decide that I'm worthy of it, my initial
idea is to develop CEDET in a separate branch for now, even tho
I think the send patch workflow is valid, for a package like CEDET
that needs a lot of changes, this can really slow down the process.
I think the first thing would be to start the copyright assignment
process so that your contributions can be incorporated into Emacs.
For that please fill the form below and send it to the FSF as instructed
so they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.

I'm not very familiar with CEDET, but having converted it recently to
use lexical-binding, I'm a bit less lost in it, let's say.  So I'd be
happy to play the middle man between Emacs's `master` and you until we
feel comfortable giving you direct write access.

Adding an Semantic backend to Xref would indeed be a great first step.
Other things that come to mind in terms of maintenance:
- IIRC there were changes in the upstream CEDET code which still haven't
   been merged into Emacs's `master`.
- Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> has a branch of CEDET (sadly
   based on Emacs as of a year ago) at https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs
   which includes various interesting additions (such as an SQL
   grammar).  I recently started to try and work with him to start
   merging some of those changes into Emacs's `master`.
These branches are evidence of the need to try and merge things into
Emacs's `master` promptly and regularly, otherwise it becomes hard to
get them merged back and the risk of them getting lost in the long term
is high.

         Stefan

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
Emacs

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]