Re: Git master head build failure?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Git master head build failure?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 14:10:50 +1100

>> In toplevel form:
>> cedet/semantic/bovine/c.el:35:1: Error: Loading file
>> /home/tim/git/emacs/lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/c-by.elc failed to provide
>> feature ‘semantic/bovine/c-by’
> [...]
>> This is in a repo which previously had the emacs-27 branch checked out.
>> Now has the master branch checked out.
>> Is this a known issue or have I missed something?
>
> I think it's known to the extent that I have seen such problems every
> once in a while, but I don't think I've seen an actual bug report for
> it yet.
>
> IIUC the problem is that our "make clean" rules don't clean hard enough.
> I suspect for example that
>
>     rm /home/tim/git/emacs/lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/c-by.el
>
> might help,

OK, thanks Stefan. I will give that a go.

I thought 'git status' would show me anything 'left' after a clean that
was not part of the repo, but now I notice that file is included in the
.gitignore list, so would not show up.

I wonder if it would be possible for make maintainer-clean to somehow
look at what is in .gitignore and ensure anything in there is also
removed? Would be good if at least that target returned the repo to an
exact replica of what you would get if you did a fresh clone.

--
Tim Cross