Re: Why does Gnus article-moving act like a fetch of new news?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Why does Gnus article-moving act like a fetch of new news?
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 18:21:42 -0500

On 03 May 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
I thought this was worth looking into more closely, and I'm getting
closer to figuring out the problem.

[...distant cheering from over the horizon...]

What we really need is to update the "active" number for the receiving group -- that's Gnus' final authoritative figure for how many articles are in the group, and if it's not updated then we see Karl's situation where you enter the receiving group and don't see the moved articles,
until you do a full refresh of the group.

The calls to `gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group' make the world right only because they end up calling `gnus-get-unread-articles-in-group', which updates the group's active number (in addition to a bunch of other
stuff).

What I'm trying to figure out now is, what's the minimum amount of code we can run that does this work, without running a whole bunch of other
unwanted processes. We can't just set the group's active number
directly, because we need to check the cache and the agent, and update
the *Group* buffer, etc., as part of that. So we'll need some
combination of the "larger" functions, invoked properly, but I haven't
figured out yet exactly how that will work.

But anyway, the mystery is clearing.

Thank you so much for looking further into this. Your reasoning & questions above seem exactly right to me. Knowing this "combination of the 'larger' functions, invoked properly" would be a good thing, and I think might be of general utility in the Gnus code. Surely this isn't the only place where a group needs to be told that its article set has changed and that it needs to refresh itself in a local-only way.

By the way, I received your message twice, with two separate Message-ID headers:

Letting you know just in case that's a manifestation of some kind of message-sending buglet. (Since I was an explicit recipient in the headers, along with emacs-devel, I wondered if maybe your MUA or MDA somehow generates a distinct message, with its own Message-ID, for each recipient, instead of all recipients getting the same message.)

Best regards,
-Karl