Re: emacsclient in elisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacsclient in elisp
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 09:18:51 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Daniel Mendler <mail@daniel-mendler.de>,  bugs@gnu.support,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 17:21:01 -0400
>
> I'd expect in the server a loop like:
>
>     (while t
>       (let ((cmd (read-from-minibuffer "")))
>         (process-command cmd)))
>
> where `process-command` may launch async subprocesses or initiate
> network connections or send commands to network connections, and the
> above loop will not always immediately send replies but instead they may
> be sent from the process filters and/or sentinels.
>
> With the current implementation of `read-from-minibuffer` this above
> loop won't work because there is no time where process filters and
> timers are processed, including when we're waiting in
> `read-from-minibuffer`.

But only if the above runs in batch mode, right?

And as I wrote elsewhere, I don't understand why being able to read
from stdin like it's a sub-process would be so much better than
actually using a network process.  We could introduce such a feature
for the batch mode, but it would mean serious complications, and I
just don't see the justification for that.