Re: emacsclient in elisp

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: emacsclient in elisp
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 19:07:59 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-05-21 13:32]:
> > Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 10:26:43 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: mail@daniel-mendler.de, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
> >   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-05-21 10:09]:
> >
> > > Use read-from-minibuffer, it can read anything.
> >
> > Now I use, though it is not documented in manual.
>
> Of course, it's documented: see the  nodes "Input Streams" and "Intro
> to Minibuffers" of the ELisp manual.

In this page: (info "(elisp) Input Functions") there is nothing about
`read-from-minibuffer' and in the description of the function there is
nothing about STREAM neither that it can read from standard input. I
hope you can see how it lacks better references

On this page (info "(elisp) Intro to Minibuffers") I see:

   When Emacs is running in batch mode, any request to read from the
minibuffer actually reads a line from the standard input descriptor that
was supplied when Emacs was started.  This supports only basic input:
none of the special minibuffer features (history, completion, etc.) are
available in batch mode.

That is great though that is not the only place to explain what the
function does. As on this page: (info "(elisp) Text from Minibuffer")
there is description of `read-from-minibuffer' without mentioning
anything about standard input, there is not even a word "standard", so
it is missing in the manual. I cannot write it myself, I can just
point out to it, I can give a try:

- include the similar paragraph as above on the page (info "(elisp)
  Text from Minibuffer") in the description of the function, something
  like:

   When Emacs is running in batch mode, any request to read from the
minibuffer actually reads a line from the standard input descriptor that
was supplied when Emacs was started.  This supports only basic input:
none of the special minibuffer features (history, completion, etc.) are
available in batch mode.

And same should be placed in the docstring or at least a link to
explanation.

You see I found the answer on Internet, I could not find it, not so
easy, in the manual. First thing I do is C-h f but there was nothing
there. I am explaining my flow of actions here. Then when I found
STREAM for `read' the same is not mentioned for `read-from-minibuffer'
and nothing in the docstring, so without asking here, programmer would
could either search Internet or fail.

If `read-from-string' also reading from standard input?

Thank you,
Jean