Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 18:00:29 +0200

>> As I've written: Public client applications are only allowed to access
>> web APIs, so no IMAP/SMTP.
>
> OK; I wasn't sure if by "web APIs" you meant only "OAuth-related web
> APIs".  Thanks for confirming.
>
> I wonder why Microsoft does not allow public client applications to use
> IMAP/SMTP.

Actually, after I've looked a bit into this, I think I'm mistaken and it
is possible to register a public client with IMAP access.

> Maybe the FSF could request that Emacs be registered as a public client
> application and also be allowed to use IMAP/SMTP.  That would solve the
> "embedding a secret in Free Software" part of the OAuth registration
> issue, at least for Microsoft servers.

In a company setting based on Microsoft services, the problem is not
really so much to get your client registered, but to get your IT
department to enable IMAP and to explicitly allow your application
access to your mailboxes.

-David