Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 18:53:11 +0000

> Philip Kaludercic [2021-08-08 15:40:57] wrote:
>> I have been using something along these lines for a while now, and
>> wanted to suggest adding this to Emacs/ELPA:
> [...]
>> The fundamental idea is to have an easy-to-use ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/
>> directory where a user can clone any repository or create their own,
>> without having to manually add these to load-path, generate autoloads or
>> byte compile.
>
> FWIW, I use `elpa-admin.el` for that.
> The advantage being that the package.el is made aware of them.

What is the advantage in making package.el aware?

> Admittedly, `elpa-admin.el` doesn't provide that "out of the box", but
> I'd welcome changes to improve this use case.  It go become an
> alternative to `straight.el`.

On the topic of package.el, a more general idea I had was to make
package.el more generic, with different backends. Then you could have
one backend for elpa packages, one for local "packages", etc. But that
would certainly take more effort to design and implement that what I
have suggested here.

--
        Philip Kaludercic