Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 16:03:40 -0400

>> FWIW, I use `elpa-admin.el` for that.
>> The advantage being that the package.el is made aware of them.
> What is the advantage in making package.el aware?

It lets you install `dash` via Git and then install packages that depend
on `dash` via `M-x package-install`.

>> Admittedly, `elpa-admin.el` doesn't provide that "out of the box", but
>> I'd welcome changes to improve this use case.  It go become an
>> alternative to `straight.el`.
> On the topic of package.el, a more general idea I had was to make
> package.el more generic, with different backends.

I think most of it is there already: package.el is divided between
a part that activates packages that are installed and a part which
installs packages from ELPA archives.

The part that activate the locally installed packages is quite
independent and doesn't care about the format of ELPA archives.
All it cares about is the contents of <FOO>-pkg.el and
<FOO>-autoloads.el, both of which are created by the installer.

        Stefan