Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 18:14:46 -0400

On 8/9/21 2:52 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:33:48 -0400
>>
>> On a typical install Emacs takes you to the .el.gz, not to the .el in the
>> original repo
>
> Why is that a problem for you?  M-. takes you to the code you are
> actually running,

No, I'm running from .elc files, am I not?  Not from .el.gz ones.

> whereas the files in Git could have been modified
> meanwhile, and are no longer the code your installed Emacs runs.

Yep, that's precisely why I wrote "Though the .el files could be out of sync
with the .el.gz files, presumably."  But the same issue exists with the C
files, which could be out of date as well.

> But if it _is_ a problem, for some reason, the solution is a two-step
> dance:
>
>   . run 'etags' to produce TAGS that names the *.el files in the Git
>     checkout where you want to go
>
>   . configure Xref to use etags for ELisp files (instead of the
>     built-in ELisp backend)

Thanks.  Is there a way to do that only for Emacs source files, not for all
ELisp files?