Re: OSC control sequences in comint

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: OSC control sequences in comint
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 09:44:28 +0200

On Wed, 25 Aug 2021 at 12:32, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Thanks; applied to Emacs 28.  Seems to work great with "ls --hyperlink".  :-)

Great!  Another useful addition might be OSC 7 to report the working
directory.  This would be much simpler and more reliable than
'shell-dirtrack-mode', but needs a small configuration in the shell as
well (append some stuff to $PS1 or $PROMPT_COMMAND)

>> However, I don't think it makes sense to provide this handler
>> [i.e., graphics] in Emacs itself, since it is rather nonstandard.
>
> Hm...  well, if it becomes popular (or more standard), then we should
> add it, because it sounds pretty cool.  :-)

There are several long discussion about a image protocol for the
terminal [1], but unfortunately nothing seems to be settled.

I'll try adding graphical capabilities to the Python shell using a
private protocol (since some hacking on the Python side is needed as
well).  If this woks well, it might be a good fit for an ELPA package.

[1]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/terminal-wg/specifications/-/issues/26