Re: Gitlab Migration

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 07:35:10 -0400

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 3:37 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Emacs is an old and _stable_ package.  "Stable" means just that:
> features burned into users' muscle memory don't just change every
> weekend.

At 70, I still count myself as an "early adopter".  I am unlikely to
accept having my world and habits disrupted every weekend.  But
with somewhat longer time scales (e.g. Ubuntu's six month and
Android yearly cadences) I am quite comfortable.

> So we do it slowly, cautiously, and preferably via opt-in
> features, because we respect our users and their habits.

Ah, but the model is opt-in to change, not opt-out.  Thus
opponents of change start off with an advantage and set
the terms of debate.

Other models are possible:
* Long term releases with sunset dates
* Previews of features that will become defaults with opt-out
* ?

Anyway, thank you, Eli, for your long, thoughtful reply and
for your project leadership.

/john