Re: Native compiler - passing command line options to C compiler

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Native compiler - passing command line options to C compiler
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:06:25 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Cc: akrl@sdf.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 16:23:21 +0200
>>
>> > Almost there: the commit log message should mention the files and
>> > functions where you made the changes.  Look at the other log messages
>> > in git, and you will see the difference (feel free to ask if still
>> > unclear).
>> >
>> > Thanks for working on this.
>>
>> See if this is ok. I don't know how to get in ` into git message. My bash is
>> complaining, but I see in some git log that Lars had quoted some names with
>> `'.
>>
>> Found also one check for WINDOWS I forgott to remove.
>>
>> See if this one is ok:
>> * lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el: add user option 'native-comp-compiler-options'
>> and rename 'native-comp-driver-options' to 'native-comp-backend-options'
>> with changes needed to implement the feature and the rename.
>>
>> * list/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el: adapt to the change in comp.el.
>>
>> * src/comp.c: add support to implement 'native-comp-compiler-options' and
>> the rename of driver options to backend options.
>
> This part should look like this:
>
>   * lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el ('native-comp-compiler-options): New option.
>   (native-comp-driver-options): Rename to 'native-comp-backend-options'.
>   * list/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el: All users of 'native-comp-driver-options'
>   changed.
>
>   * src/comp.c (Fcomp_native_backend_options_effective_p): Renamed
>   from 'Fcomp_native_driver_options_effective_p'; all callers changed.
>   (Fcomp_native_compiler_options_effective_p): New function.
>   (add_driver_options): Remove WINDOWSNT condition.
>   (add_compiler_options): New function.
>   (Fcomp__compile_ctxt_to_file): Call 'add_compiler_options'.
>
> IOW, you need to list not only the files, but also the functions and
> global variables that you change.

And I who tried to be brief for once.

> This will be much easier if you use "C-x 4 a" or "C-c C-d" (the latter
> in the VC log buffer): they will generate the skeleton with file name
> and function name for you, so you need just add the description of the
> change itself, what's after the colon.

Aha. I never used Emacs vc functions, I just did everything from command line in
ansi-term. I have my bash aliases I am used to and most of my git interaction is
thru them.

I now have read about vc in the manual and looked around after you wrote this,
but I seem to be missing something in setup. I opened some vc log and C-c C-d
opened diff view as if I did a git format-patch which was nice, but then when I
actually run vc-register followed by vc-next-action, the opened log said that
diff something wasn't registered. I will try to read more and see if I can get
it to work, it seems useful to get skeleton with functions auto generated.

> (I can fix the log message for you this time, if you are exhausted ;-)

No worries, I have at least mastered git reset --soft HEAD~1. I did took your
text this time se we get over with it.

Thank you for your kind help and guidance.