Re: Developing a PHP package

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Developing a PHP package
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 20:26:35 +0300

> From: Hugo Thunnissen <devel@hugot.nl>
> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 16:37:22 +0000
>
> - How does the process of contributing a package to emacs usually go?

You tell us you want to submit your package, we look at the code,
comment on any stuff we may wish to change to adapt to our coding
conventions, and then we add it to Emacs.

> - I have read that there is work being done on incorporating lib
>   tree-sitter in emacs, would tree-sitter make a package like mine
>   obsolete?

No, because TS will most probably be an optional library, at least
originally.

> - The parser is currently only used for completion, but could
>   theoretically also be used (with some modifications) to do syntax
>   highlighting and indentation, making for somewhat of an alternative to
>   PHP-mode in the future.  Would there be interest in something like
>   that?

Yes, I think so.

> - The package has a dependency on a bash script that uses some GNU
>   coreutils (find, grep) and diff from GNU diffutils. The script is used
>   to find files containing definitions of PHP classes and namespaces,
>   but not for any of code parsing. What is the policy for emacs packages
>   having dependencies on external programs like that?

Why can't you use etags for that?

> Thank you for taking the time to read this mail, and for future
> discourse: I am new to mailing list etiquette, feel free to point out
> when I am doing it wrong :)

Thanks for working on your package and for your interest in Emacs in
general.