Re: bug#49822: master e32c7d2: Change Python eval to send directly inste

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: bug#49822: master e32c7d2: Change Python eval to send directly instead of using temporary files
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 19:37:41 +0200

On Mon,  6 Sep 2021 at 13:53, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

>>> LINE_MAX has nothing to do with the tty line discipline.
>>
>> I'll never learn it :-(
>>
>> We've discussed this issue some years ago already. IIRC, the outcome was
>> to use "getconf PIPE_BUF /" instead.
>
> Neither has PIPE_BUF.
>
> Andreas.

Okay then. Since there seem to be no better alternatives, I have
attached a new patch reducing the limit to a hard-coded 1024 bytes.  If
some day someone adds a variable specifying a more precise limit, then
we can change this.

I have also rearranged things a bit so that the setup code is sent to
the inferior process just once, rather than of on every call to
`python-shell-send-string'.  This way, the smaller line length limit
doesn't increase too much the use of temp files, which, as I mentioned,
is slow over ssh.

It would be great if someone with access to a BSD-like OS could test
this.  I can only test locally on Linux and over ssh between Linux
machines.

PS: I have some more suggestions around the Python shell.  Is the ideal
workflow to keep creating bugs with a small patch to each improvement,
or do you prefer to review a larger collection of changes bundled
together?