Re: Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 00:03:58 +0100

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 03:47:31PM +0530, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
>
> > Since I always forget, I decided to put together a summary of the
> > process:
> > https://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2021/09/building-vanilla-emacs-on-macos-with.html
>
> Thanks for documenting it. I would like you to create two sub-sections
> for essential and recommended brew packages. You have already specified
> the essential packages without which Emacs won’t build. If you install
> the following packages then these will be picked up by the ‘configure’
> script without explicitly passing any options. I have arrived at this
> list after several iterations.

> brew install \
>        libjpeg \
>        libxpm \
>        libtiff \
>        libpng \
>        librsvg \
>        jansson \
>        lcms2 \
>        giflib

In it's default set-up Emacs on macOS won't use libjpeg, libtiff,
libpng and giflib even if they're installed as those image types are
all built into NSImage, which is the default. So they're not
essential.

I'm not sure about libxpm, I think we have specific code in Emacs
itself to deal with them... Or maybe I'm thinking of some other X
bitmap format...?

--
Alan Third