Re: "Raw" string literals for elisp

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: "Raw" string literals for elisp
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 20:24:34 +0200

8 sep. 2021 kl. 18.01 skrev Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>:

> It is more readable in the same way Cobol was very readable

That comparison is absurdly wrong in many ways: Cobol is not considered
readable at all and it was made back when nobody knew how to design languages.
I could go on all day about a comparative design history of Cobol, Rx and
conventional regexp syntax but will spare you the boredom.

Rx is actually not verbose, definitely not by Lisp standards. You can't use it
in CC Mode for reasons of compatibility and that's fine -- engineers often work
under constraints not of their own choosing.

I do suggest you give it an honest try in a project where you are permitted to
do so. You will be better informed, better equipped to read other people's
code, and may come to like it. Even if you don't, you may have something
interesting to report from the attempt.

And I'll be there to answer questions!