Re: Suggestion for improving ergonomics of repeat-maps: define-repeat-ma

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Suggestion for improving ergonomics of repeat-maps: define-repeat-map
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 22:35:13 +0200

On Thu,  9 Sep 2021 at 20:06, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:
>
>> If normal keymaps were defined with a macro similar to the macro
>> that you created, it would be easier to migrate the existing repeat-maps
>> to your macro.  I mean if we had a macro `define-keymap' that defines
>> normal keymaps and that is similar to your `define-repeat-map',
>> then creating a repeat-map from the normal map would require just
>> changing the macro name `define-keymap' to `define-repeat-map'.
>
> Heh.  I've got a `define-keymap' macro stashed away, waiting for Emacs
> 29.  :-)  (So another week or so.)

Why is it a macro, not just a function?

This is tangential, but if define-key could take an arbitrary number of
KEY DEF pairs to define (like setq for variables), it would be immensely
more convenient.

It would also be nice to allow keyword arguments like :prefix (to define
a bunch of keys with a common prefix) or :filter (to put all the DEFs in
menu-items with the provided :filter function)