Re: Helpful in Emacs?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Helpful in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 01:55:08 +0300

On 09.09.2021 23:23, Arthur Miller wrote:
What do you need to build  xref backend you mention? As mentioned on elisp-refs
gh page:

"xref-find-references: This command is included in Emacs 25.1, but it's based on
a text search. It is confused by comments and strings, and cannot distinguish
between functions and variables."

Would rebuilding this command to use read instead of text search do the thing?

You can easily plug another search implementation in xref-find-references. You can even make summaries multiline (though that would feel weird to me).

But is elisp-refs that much better at searching? Distinguishing variables from functions sounds nice, but then you might want to rename the function -- and you'll probably want to rename the variable with the same name as well.

Same about comments: if elisp-refs skips comments altogether (rather than smartly parsing references inside), you might miss some references to your function when doing a rename.

I also wonder how it compares in performance.