Re: Tree-sitter api

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter api
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 08:51:00 +0300

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 12:57:22 -0700
> Cc: Tuấn-Anh Nguyễn <ubolonton@gmail.com>,
>  Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>,
>  Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>,
>  Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>,
>  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Sure.  I guess we will have to have a database of module names for
> > each programming language somewhere?
>
> My plan is to translate lisp names to C names by default, and have an
> override list for irregular names that can’t be translated correctly.

What are "Lisp names" in this context?  Are you saying that the name
of a programming language, derived from the major mode, can be used to
produce the name of the shared library programmatically?  If so, how?

> Just realized another problem, how do we make sure the loaded library is
> GPL-compatible? There certainly won’t be “plugin_is_GPL_compatible” symbol in
> them… And IIUC Emacs cannot load GPL-incompatible dynamic libraries?

That's only needed for Emacs modules, not for external libraries that
provide some extra functionality on the level of primitives.  For
those, we just make sure their license is compatible with GPL.