Re: bug-reference-prog-mode slows down CC Mode's scrolling by ~7%

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug-reference-prog-mode slows down CC Mode's scrolling by ~7%
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:11:03 -0400

>> Right, but the big gain is right when I open the file, where jit-lock
>> only fontifies a handful of chunks even though often both point-min and
>> point-max are visible.
> I think the gain is illusory,

No, it makes the buffer display "instantly" instead of taking a few
seconds to highlight it from head to toe.

> because as soon as you unhide the code, we start fontifying everything
> as usual.

Just the "one screenful" at a time, so still "instantly".

IOW, it makes it work like "jit" intends.

> IOW, hiding text is for this purpose the same as simply
> leaving it off-screen.

I don't know what you mean by that.  I use `outline-minor-mode` because
I like the way it gives me an overview of the whole buffer (akin to an
"in-buffer speedbar"), not because of its interaction with
jit/font-lock performance.

        Stefan