Re: Porting Emacs on new platform.

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Porting Emacs on new platform.
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 00:49:02 +0200

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 01:20:46 +0300 Рабочая Почта
<work.mail.for.me.tgg@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks for answering.
>
> Thanks for pointing out where places dumper in.
> Yes, E2K, when Linux is installed, is a common Posix platform.
> No important messages around, only in/out directory and compiling. But
> i can send this btw, then will
> be working with the machine again.
> Could you say, how to compile emacs with debugging information? I mean
> proper building with scripts like this:
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --with-x-toolkit=no --with-xpm=no --with-jpeg=no
> --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no
> make
> make install

<emacs>/etc/DEBUG say this:

  *** Configuring Emacs for debugging

  It is best to configure and build Emacs with special options that will
  make the debugging easier.  Here are the configure-time options we
  recommend (they are in addition to any other options you might need,
  such as --prefix):

    ./configure --enable-checking='yes,glyphs' --enable-check-lisp-object-type \
      CFLAGS='-O0 -g3'

  The -O0 flag is important, as debugging optimized code can be hard.
  If the problem happens only with optimized code, you may need to
  enable optimizations.  If that happens, try using -Og first instead of
  -O2, as -Og disables some optimizations that make debugging some code
  exceptionally hard.

> And how do you advise debugging Elisp code?

See the above mentioned file for more details.

> And where to send the patches? To this mail?

Probably best to send to the debbugs issue tracker; using `M-x
submit-emacs-patch' might be helpful for that.

> Thanks for helping.

Steve Berman