RE: [External] : Re: Patch: perform autoloading when docs is missing fro

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Patch: perform autoloading when docs is missing from autoload object
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 16:03:16 +0000

> It is quite likely that you want to use the
> library if you've looked up the symbol in a
> *Help* buffer, so why not, indeed, just load
> it at that point?

It's also quite likely - even more likely IMO
- that you do NOT want to use (load) the
library - you just wanted to check the doc of
something in it.

"Just load it" isn't right.  Let _users_ load
it when they want to.  That's trivial to do.

If you added an option that does such eager
"just load" unconditionally would be very
wrong, IMHO.

> So I think I'd be fine with adding the proposed
> functionality.  If there are people that don't
> want this, we can add a user option to switch it off.

That's wrong.  Add an option to switch it
on, if you want to provide such an optional
behavior.