Re: [ELPA] Want to submit two packages "ilist" and "blist"

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Want to submit two packages "ilist" and "blist"
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 03:15:42 -0700

Durand <mmemmew@gmail.com> writes:

> I have written two Emacs pacakges, called "ilist" and "blist" (the
> former is the "engine", and hence a dependency, of the latter).  Now I
> am thinking about submitting the packages to GNU ELPA.
>
> The package "blist" is to display the list of bookmarks, in the sense of
> "bookmark.el", in a similar way as Ibuffer.

Thanks, this looks useful at a first glance, and something that I think
we should definitely welcome on GNU ELPA.

I wonder why you chose to write this as an entirely new package instead
of improving the bookmark list we already have in bookmark.el.  Could
you explain your rationale for this?

One thing that stands out is that you list bookmarks by category, like
in ibuffer, something that I don't think is currently possible with
`tabulated-list-mode'.

Some other scattered comments:

- Is any of this suitable for inclusion in bookmark.el?  I'm thinking of
  `blist-show-all-annotations', for example.

- I would add (defalias 'blist 'blist-list-bookmarks) for
  discoverability.

- blist-show-annotation says "No bookmarks to show" when it should
  probably say "No annotation for this bookmark".  I think?

- Instead of the in-buffer header, you could use `header-line-format',
  which means that the header stays on top even as you scroll down.