Re: Better emoji support

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Better emoji support
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:50:49 +0200

    >> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:15:10 +0300
    >> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
    >> Cc: kevin.legouguec@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
    >>
    >> > So we get to pick our poison: complete consistency with the
    >> > Emoji_Presentation property from emoji-data.txt, or having complete
    >> > coverage for emoji-zwj-sequences.txt. Eli? (Iʼll admit to having a
    >> > slight preference for the latter, given that I find Emoji_Presentation
    >> > to be somewhat arbitrary for quite a few codepoints)
    >>
    >> I agree: we should use the latter, at least for now.

    Eli> Btw, we could perhaps tweak the composition code to produce emoji
    Eli> representation for the likes of U+231A followed by VS-16, even though
    Eli> U+231A etc. aren't in the emoji script.  Remind me about this after
    Eli> the basic emoji composition code is installed, and let's see if it
    Eli> could be improved for those sequences.

? U+231A has Emoji_Presentation=Yes. In any case, donʼt you need at
least one codepoint to be using the emoji font to do that? (Noto Color
Emoji doesnʼt have a glyph for VS-16, so that canʼt be used)

As another aside: lisp/language/japanese.el sets up some
composition-function-table entries for the Variation Selectors
already, so eg

U+231A U+FE0F

already gets composed.

Robert