Re: Path & Demo: Source View in Help Buffers

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Path & Demo: Source View in Help Buffers
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 16:08:36 +0200

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

>> I think that's a common check for 3rd-party packages which want to keep
>> supporting emacs 24.  But since you are hacking emacs core, there's no
>> need for that unless the function/variable is only defined if some
>> configure option is given or some lib is available.  But none of the
>> latter applies to font-lock.el.
>
> Yes, I have tested now, it works fine. I did even som minor
> refactoring.
>
> Don't know if anyone else cares at all,

I don't know either. :-)

> anyway here is updated patch.

+(defun help--insert-source ()
+  "Fnd and insert source for the current symbol into the help-mode
+buffer."

Nitpick: There's an "i" missing in "F[i]nd" and checkdoc wants the first
sentence on the first line.

Aside from that, I think it would be useful if one could jump from the
shown inlined code into the source file, too.  Then one doesn't have to
navigate back to the filename.{c,el} link.  Maybe it could even jump to
the line corresponding to the location of point in the inlined code?  At
least the lines offset is easy to calculate.

Bye,
Tassilo