Re: documentation incorrect for function `define-package'?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: documentation incorrect for function `define-package'?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:51:01 -0700

Michelangelo Rodriguez <michelangelo.rodriguez@gmail.com> writes:

> So, in my actual understanding of how the package system works, actually
> <package>-pkg.el is generated by an authomation when that package is
> installed from elpa or another archive?

It is generated by whatever software creates the package archive.

GNU ELPA and MELPA are two notable examples.

> I think that because i try to install a local package in which i'm
> working and if i try to install it by using `package-install-file' and i
> don't specify various keywords to `define-package' then
> `describe-package' does'nt report correctly some information.
> so, which is the "correct way " to test the package?

In general, you shouldn't need to create this file yourself.  It will be
created for you by e.g. GNU ELPA.  What you do need to do is ensure that
your package headers are correct.

The usual work-flow here, I think, is to add your package to a package
archive, see what kind of metadata it comes up with and address any
problems you see.