Re: [RFC] MIME attachments for comint

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [RFC] MIME attachments for comint
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:36:46 +0200

Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> writes:

> - Although the feature seems rather desirable to have even built into
>   Emacs, I can't see how a sufficiently canonical implementation would
>   be possible.  This package invents a little communication protocol
>   between the inferior process and Emacs, which will obviously never be
>   implemented by anyone else.

I think this is really neat functionality, but as you say -- it's rather
non-standard, and it's hard to see this ever becoming a standard thing.
(For instance, there's no imgcat in Debian/bullseye.)  So I'm afraid
adding it to Emacs core wouldn't be useful to that many people.

But I could see some people being interested in this, so putting it in
GNU ELPA would be fine by me.

> - It seems shr doesn't support right-aligned text in tables.  Would this
>   be hard to add?  This is kind of important to display numeric tables
>   sensibly.

Hm...  I think I vaguely remember adding that at some point, but I may
be wrong.  Do you have a test case that doesn't render correctly?