Re: save-excursion and multi-thread?

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: save-excursion and multi-thread?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 02:59:33 +0000

> I've not chimed in because whether or not I did wouldn't alter the trajectory
> of a young programmer's eventual realization that implementing concurrent
> editing purely in lisp will result in something quite unusable.  Moreover, he
> will discover (in a few years) that programming is essentially a solitary
> pursuit that does not benefit commensurately to the complexity concurrent
> editing adds.  One need only look at how tasks are divvied up at ACM
> competitions to see that programming is really not a team sport.
Emacs is used for many other stuff other than programming.
I don’t aim to make “real programming” concurrent, it obviously doesn't benefit
from it.
I’m rather interested in making concurrent edit programmable.
Most exist collaborative editing applications are non-extensible and special
purposed.
You have to rebuild Google Slides after you have Google Docs, and so on.
That’s not to mention a significant portion of web applications nowadays
are really just concurrent editors on replicated objects in disguise.
(Disguise by only exposing a very limited/specialized subset of editing
operations)
But it seems that if we have a really collaborative Emacs,
then most existing single-user applications could be effortless upgrade to
distributed ones,
without needing to reinvent both the application itself and the collaboration
support
over and over again.
And moreover, those applications on Emacs are always programmable and
extensible.