Re: Patch: debug-instrumented predicate

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Patch: debug-instrumented predicate
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 21:25:26 +0200

>> I have seen that internal code in debug.el uses advice
>> 'debug--implement-debug-on-entry' for instrumented symbols, but I am not
>> sure if
>> it can be used as a stable check long-term. Suggested patch uses it, but if
>> it
>> is considered internal and subject of change, please add a way to have a
>> stable
>> predicate.
>
> Can you give us a concrete use case?

Concrete use-case would be to offer a user some kind of gui to instrument or
remove
instrumentation for debug/edebug/profile/trace.

Helpful.el is the one package I know off that offer a button for debeg/edebug
and trace in style of enable/disable.

I have re-implemented helpful in terms of built-in help infrastructure and am
using those functions I posted as patches when toggling on/off above mentioned
instrumentation.

I would prefer to use a stable API instead of something based on internal
implementation that can change without notice.

I don't think it is unimeganble that someone else might develop some other tool
that might work with profiling, debugging etc and might need to know if
instrumentation for a function is on or off.