Re: [ELPA] New packages: boxy, boxy-headlines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New packages: boxy, boxy-headlines
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 21:47:26 -0400

> Defface wasn't working for me when updating the color scheme. Repeated
> calls to defface don't seem to apply changes, while directly modifying
> the face-defface-spec does.

AFAIK, same as for `defvar`, this is on-purpose.
If you want to re-apply the standard definition, the recommended way is
to use `C-M-x`.

>> - Your packages have no ;;;###autoload cookie.  The doc of boxy.el
>>   doesn't make it clear what's a likely entry point (i.e. how to start
>>   using it), but for `boxy-headings`, it seems at least the
>>   `boxy-headlines` function should have such a cookie.
>
> I think you're right about the boxy-headlines command. boxy.el provides
> the boxy major mode and related commands, should those be autoloaded?

IIUC `boxy.el` (including the major mode) is not meant to be used
directly by the end user, so maybe it doesn't need any autoloads because
the clients will just (require 'boxy) at the top of their file.
I don't know enough about how `boxy.el` is used by client packages:
you're in a better position to know.

>> Oh, I forgot the main question (the one that got me looking more
>> closely in the first place): why do you use `cl-defmethod` everywhere
>> yet with only ever a single method defined under the same name?
> That was so (oref) and (oset) can work without ELC complaining about
> 'unknown slots'. Is there another macro that uses class specializers?

Hmm... I don't understand why using `cl-defmethod` would silence
"unknown slot" warnings.  AFAIK those warnings depend solely on whether
the byte-compiler has seen the corresponding `defclass`.

> Also, why not assign custom variables and faces to a group?

Removing those `:group` will not stop them from being assigned to those
groups (IOW those `:group` args are simply redundant because vars and
faces are assigned (by default) to the last group defined with `defgroup`).

        Stefan