Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode [Windows, macOS]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode [Windows, macOS]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 18:46:41 +0300

> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:41:15 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > I'd like to understand the problem better before we consider solutions
> > in this area.  What's the problem with "Monospace" on MS-Windows?
> > which font does that actually use?  ("C-u C-x =" on the text in
> > question should report the font Emacs uses to display that text.)
>
> When I do not use the above Protesilaos suggestions in the init, "C-u C-x ="
> on "begin_quote", for example, prints:
>
>              position: 1613 of 4924 (33%), column: 5
>             character: i (displayed as i) (codepoint 105, #o151, #x69)
>               charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
> code point in charset: 0x69
>                script: latin
>                syntax: w      which means: word
>              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII, l:Latin,
> r:Roman
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET 69" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN SMALL LETTER I"
>           buffer code: #x69
>             file code: #x69 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
>               display: by this font (glyph code):
>     gdi:-raster-Courier-normal-normal-normal-mono-16-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
> (#x69)

But if JetBrains is the font of the default face, then having Courier
for a non-default face is expected, and even desired.  So I'm not sure
I understand your complaint.  Did you expect the fixed-pitch face to
have the same font as the default face?  If so, it's a wrong
expectation: we deliberately defined the fixed-pitch face to have a
different typeface, so that it stands out.

> i.e., it uses Courier NOT JetBrains. On macOS something similar occurs: it
> uses Courier non Monaco. Instead on GNU/Linux (default font Monospace regular
> 11):
>
> [...]
> display: by this font (glyph code):
>     ftcrhb:-PfEd-DejaVu Sans
> Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x4C)
> [...]

And the default font on GNU/Linux is also DejaVu Sans Mono?