Re: ELPA: New package: nano-modeline

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: ELPA: New package: nano-modeline
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 18:50:51 +0000

"Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Are you sure you want to call
>>
>>     (nano-modeline)
>
> Not at all, I can remove the autoload.
>
>> when loading the package? Also, wouldn't it make sense to provide
>> the
>> functionality in terms of a (global) minor mode, the user can
>> activate
>> or deactivate?
>
> It might be possible to make it a minor mode (with some extra work)
> but it seems counter-intuitive (to me) to have this as a
> minor-mode. But I've no strong opinion actually.

How come? A minor mode usually modifies the behaviour or appearance of
Emacs. Think of menu-bar-mode, scroll-bar-mode, etc.

But the main reason I mention this is that a minor mode is
reversible. If someone were to download nano-modeline and try it out,
they would have to restart their Emacs session to reset it.

(I wrote an text that represents MY (not necessarily the views of this
list, or of the emacs developers) views on the topic here:
http://ruzkuku.com/texts/emacs-style.html. Maybe that might help you to
understand where I am coming from.)

--
        Philip Kaludercic