Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 08:58:55 -0400

>> An implementation of this idea is awaiting comments over at bug#50959.
> I think you should install that.

I'm not sure if he may be referring to another patch (I haven't checked
the whole thread), but the patch I saw in there implements it with an
ad-hoc `completion-style`.

I consider this as an abuse of the notion of completion style (which
are supposed to be orthogonal to the actual completion data), so I'd
strongly recommend not to use this patch.

I could agree to the use of a new completion-style for it, but then the
code of the completion style should not be specific to
`read-symbol-shorthands`.  Instead it should offer a generic feature
usable by other completion tables (and the part specific to
`read-symbol-shorthands` would be in the completion table of `C-x o`
rather than in the completion style code).

        Stefan