Re: Some improvements for cl-flet

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Some improvements for cl-flet
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 18:41:21 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Practically speaking, how important is it to access the same variables
> as simple variables, rather than using an explicit macro to access them?
>
> I think it is very important to maintain the principle that a
> variable's value only holds a sexp, that _seen from Lisp_ accessing or
> setting the variable cannot "do" anything.

Yes, but SYMBOL-MACROLET is relatively common in Common Lisp programs,
which in itself warrants its inclusion in a Common Lisp emulation
library, IMO.

And it being one of the macros that Common Lisp programmers writing
Emacs customizations often reach for, I hope it will not be deleted.

Plus, the effects of cl-symbol-macrolet will only apply inside BODY, so
it can't do anything to the majority of code that doesn't use it.

Thanks.