Please stop making extra unnecessary work for us all.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Please stop making extra unnecessary work for us all.
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:39:03 +0000

Hello, Emacs and Stefan K.

I'm referring to

commit 0a7bab689c4a113dd295c9db55d8e76a34d5f9e1
Author: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
Date:   Mon Sep 27 23:56:55 2021 +0200

    ; Minor stylistic fixes found by checkdoc

, and several other similar changes.  Yes, that was the entire commit
message for an assemblage of patches many hundreds of lines long, not
even mentioning the files changed, never mind the defuns.  Sadly, git
has no features for amending inadequate commit messages.

But the point of this post is that these changes are surely unnecessary
with a miniscule benefit, much like pure whitespace changes.

And like pure WS changes, they mess up git blame, they make searches in
history more difficult.  In some instances they introduce solecisms in
English usage.

Many non-functional changes have been made in CC Mode.  That
additionally means that patches from standalone CC Mode are even less
likely to apply cleanly in the Emacs branches than they were already.
That means extra unwanted tedious work for me.

And what are these changes?  In at least two instances the case of a
letter in warning messages following a colon was changed from lower to
upper.  Or was it the other way around?  Come on, please, this is
madness.  Who would even notice the case of a letter after a colon in a
warning message, much less care about it?

I protest at these changes.  As far as I can remember, there was no
discussion on emacs-devel preceding them.  They are disruptive changes.
Can we please not have any more such.

Thanks.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).