Re: Representing key sequences

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Representing key sequences
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:28:50 -0400

> I agree with regards to A and C, but I was not aware of the difference
> between B and D.  Could you show an example of the difference between
> B and D, and explain how the latter is more preferable?

(B)  is for example  [?\C-\M-x C-home]
(D)  would be        [(control meta x) (control home)]

Notice how you don't need to know that one is a char whereas the other
is a "non-char key".

> Also, in which situations can we currently use B but not D?

(B) and derivatives is used internally everywhere
(e.g. `read-key-sequence`), whereas (D) is only supported for
`define-key` and friends.

        Stefan