Re: Why has the light blue theme been made obsolete?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Why has the light blue theme been made obsolete?
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 07:18:07 +0300

I am user of light-blue and have many screenshots of it, and even
children in this house use light-blue theme. There is no other similar
default theme. It has good contrast, and is pleasant for eyes
depending of the environment. It is sad to see default theme not there
any more.

* Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> [2021-10-04 12:48]:
> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > BTW, shouldn't the obsoletion be documented in NEWS?
>
> This obsoletion doesn't seem NEWS-worthy.  People who are using the
> theme will get a warning, and other people don't care.

That reasoning is hard to understand. There will always be group of
people using A, but not using B. It is not logical, including the
reasoning in the bug report and removal of the light-blue theme.

What I would have expected is that whoever thinks there is problem
with light-blue is to improve it that it does not collide with other
themes, and not to remove it. It probably requires less lines then
what was written about it in bug report.

I do not expect any default Emacs themes to be removed. Especially not
for some slight reason.

The obsoletion mechanism is not working well as then when theme
disappears from the list then it cannot be even turned off. I hope you
understand that:

[X] - light blue, once chosen, next invokation of theme selection does
not show it any more in the list. Then new themese are chosen, but
light blue cannot be disabled.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns