RE: [External] : Re: Why has the light blue theme been made obsolete?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Why has the light blue theme been made obsolete?
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 22:53:11 +0000

> Patches are more effective than gripes, so if you're
> opposed to obsoleting that theme, just send us patches.

Patches to do what?  De-obsolete the theme?

My "gripe", as you say, was a response to Jean Louis,
to explain my position and lack of intention to "fix"
that theme.  Had he not posted and requested that, I
wouldn't have bothered to post my reply - what you
refer to as my "gripe".

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-10/msg01268.html

As I made clear in the bug thread (#47047), I'm
_not_  opposed to removing the theme.  Others, not
I, objected to that.  From the outset I said:

 You're free to delete light-blue-theme, if you like.
 I don't use it, myself, and I won't miss it.

Dunno how that wasn't clear as a bell, but I've
had to repeat it several times now.

In other messages to the same bug thread:

  I won't try to stop you. But I find such a purge
  a bit "out of place".

and

  I won't miss it. I don't see the point of removing
  it, however. And I don't see that you've given a
  good reason for doing that.

and

  Once again: I have NOT objected to deleting the
  theme. I asked about technical reasons to do so.

I made clear that I don't see the point of deleting
it just because someone feels that a new face s?he
wants to add to Emacs looks "out of place" if that
theme gets used.  (The fault, dear Brutus... or ...
If it hurts then don't do that...)

But that's not a plea to keep it.  I have no stake
in the light-blue theme.  None.  Tie it in knots
and sink it in the Mariana Trench, for all I care.

Multiple messages to try to get across that simple
point - which you, in your reading (?) of my reply
to Jean Louis, seem not to have gotten either.
_________

FWIW, I don't agree that Emacs themes need to be
"complete", defining lots of faces and variables,
and trying to ensure that if someone adds a face
s?he'll not find it "out of place" with the theme.

Just one opinion.  You may call this too a "gripe",
if you like.  (Patches?)