Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package proposal: git-modes

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package proposal: git-modes
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 02:08:56 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Seems like it sadly isn't possible, as Jonas says:
>
>   > > Adding to GNU ELPA is not an option because one of the main authors is
>   > > against assigning copyright to the FSF as a matter of principle.
>
> That's a shame.  But how big is per code?
> Would it be feasible to write new code to replace that code?

It's not a of code: gitconfig-mode: 137, gitignore-mode: 61,
gitattributes-mode 232 lines, all including headers.  IMO it
would make sense to re-implement them.

gitignore-mode is completely trivial, basically just font-lock keywords.
gitconfig-mode has more font-lock keywords plus some indentation code,
  which I personally find more annoying than helpful.
gitattributes-mode is more complex, also including support for eldoc and
  some navigation commands.  The good news is that in this case we might
  actually be able to get all the required copyright assignments.