Re: [RFC] Option to kill `emacs --daemon' when closing the last client f

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: [RFC] Option to kill `emacs --daemon' when closing the last client frame
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 19:42:23 -0700

From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 13:07:02 -0700
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

You will get that behaviour if you put (server-start) in your init.el
and set --alternate-editor to the emacs binary, not just an empty string.

Right, that's what I currently do. However, I've run into a couple
problems that have made me think `emacs --daemon' would be a better
solution. Under a non-daemon[1] configuration:

1) `org-protocol://' links don't work if Emacs isn't already running.
This is because org-protocol advises `server-visit-files' to detect when
a link with that protocol is passed as a file argument on the command
line. Since this argument is passed to the "alternate" Emacs, it's not
handled in `server-visit-files' and so the org-protocol code never runs.

This sounds like a problem in org-protocol that should be solved
there.  If doing so requires some core feature we don't have, let's
discuss that missing feature.  But changing the behavior of the
daemon, which will affect also all the other use cases unrelated to
this one, is not TRT, IMO.

Agreed. Before I came across issue (2) below, my plan was simply to fix this without changing the daemon's behavior. I think a core fix would be generally useful though, and once I've looked into it more, I'll send a message to the list with more thoughts.

2) The first place Emacs is opened is the "primary" instance. This isn't
usually a problem when you only run Emacs graphically, but if mixing GUI
and terminal instances, it'd be nice to allow closing the first instance
and keep the others open. For example, if you start editing in a
terminal Emacs and open a GUI Emacs client, the GUI Emacs can only live
as long as the terminal one.

I don't follow this one.  What exactly do you mean by "primary" here,
and what do you mean by "instance"?  In the scenario you described
there's only one instance of Emacs running, as I'm sure you know very
well.  Please elaborate.

I hope an example will illustrate what I mean[1]. I start with two terminals open, A and B[2]. In terminal A, I run `emacs -nw foo.txt'. In terminal B, I run `emacsclient -nw -c bar.txt'. Now, suppose I want to stop editing foo.txt in terminal A and go back to doing something else. I'd type `C-x C-c', but then my emacsclient in terminal B will close too.

However, using the daemon configuration with ALTERNATE_EDITOR="", I could run `emacsclient -nw -c ...' in each terminal. Then when I type `C-x C-c' in terminal A, it only kills that client, not the daemon process. I can then continue to edit in terminal B without interruption.

Of course, this isn't a bug, it's just how emacs and emacsclient work together when not using `emacs --daemon'. It just turned out to be inconvenient for how I use Emacs, so I've moved to using `emacs --daemon' instead.

- Jim

[1] It might be best to ignore my original terminology since it wasn't very clear. However, for completeness, by "primary" I meant "the actual `emacs' process", and by "instance" I meant "the set of frames associated with a particular Emacs client, including 'no client'".

[2] This happens in a GUI too, but I think it's easier to see with terminals.