Re: Making `kbd` always return a vector

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Making `kbd` always return a vector
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 10:12:08 +0800

> BTW, the patch below is because `transient` needs to manipulate the
> return value of `kbd` and in order to avoid the complexity of having to
> deal with "sometimes a string sometimes a vector" it passes the
> `need-vector` argument to `edmacro-parse-keys`.
>

>         Stefan "who still hasn't encountered a piece of code which
>                 requires `kbd` to return a string rather than a vector"

I think I've seen code that needs that.  I can't remember where though.

(It was probably one of the few packages that display help information
for key sequences as they are being entered.)

But IMO the extra complexity is not a problem, compared to the problems
that can result from breakage in code relying on such vital
functionality.