Re: Entering emojis

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:38:46 +0000

Debian also has a fonts-ancient-scripts package, which contains the Aegyptus font, which also has a glyph for each egyptian hieroglyph. A more recent version of that font (but apparently with a more restrictive licence) can be seen here: https://dn-works.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/UFAS-Docs/Aegyptus.pdf and downloaded here: https://dn-works.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/UFAS-Fonts/Aegyptus.zip .

I know about these fonts. I tried to explain in a followup message that there's more about this script than just a glyph for each codepoint: the layout of the glyphs in readable text is unusual, and requires horizontal and vertical offsets under control of special formatting characters specific to this script. AFAIK, no existing font that is distributed, let alone distributed freely, supports that yet.

Unless I misunderstand what you mean, page 4 and 5 of the above PDF describes such special formattings in which multiple glyphs are combined, and they are supported by the Aegyptus font.