Re: Merging release branch

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Merging release branch
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 10:01:52 -0700

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> I've had enough of merging the release branch to master,
> so someone else will have to do it from now on.

If that is your decision, I respect it.  I can only salute and thank you
for carrying out this thankless task for so long.

> a non-repeatable check failure due to network-stream-tests timing out
>   (such classes of test failure are common)

IMO, we should aggressively mark such tests as :unstable when we detect
that they are, in fact, unstable.  Because they can and will break
automatic processes like merging, CI, etc.  That seems worse than
whatever regression the test is intended to avoid.

Another idea is that other people could proactively merge, if they
suspect that their changes might cause conflicts.  (I haven't done so,
for fear of stepping on your toes, but I would be happy to start.)