[ELPA] Add embark

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: [ELPA] Add embark
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 20:28:21 +0000

Hi,

I'd like to propose adding the "embark"[0] package to GNU
ELPA. Functionality wise, it describes itself as "sort of right-click
contextual menu", and it seems to have attracted a lot of attention
recently.

The only issue is that all but one contributor has signed the copyright
assignment[1].  Yet Protesilaos Stavrou claims his contributions do not
amount to a "significant contribution", and thus should not block the
addition of Embark to GNU ELPA[2]:

> [...]
>
> A quick check:
>
> - `eebbcf8` contains two typos and an indentation change.  Even they
>   are still applicable, they are a negligible change for our legal
>   purposes.
>
> - `a35d9de` makes some changes to `embark-act`.  I would expect those
>   to no longer apply, given that this command has changed a lot over
>   time.  `git blame` tells me that nothing of that remains, but please
>   double check.
>
> - `4790949` adds three lines of docs and a small code sample to the
>   README.  A quick look suggests that it no longer exists.
>
> - `7c42885` changes the old implementation of keymaps and affects the
>   `embark-keymap` function.  That function no longer exists.  It has
>   been replaced by `embark-keymap-help` and `embark-keymap-prompter`.
>   Again, `git blame` tells me that no old code remains.
>
> - `34ebcb9` is also about the old keymap implementation.  Those
>   have undergone thoroughgoing reform since last year.
>
> In conclusion: what remains from DK's contributions does not block the
> process. Please verify those findings, otherwise embark is eligible
> for inclusion in GNU ELPA.
>
> And I claim that this does not constitute a blocking issue, because I
> have read before on emacs-devel (I think by Richard Stallman?) that in
> cases where we cannot secure the paperwork, the relevant code needs to
> be written anew. In other words, Git history does not count, but only
> the current files. Though please confirm this with the Emacs
> maintainers.

If this is true, I would take care of adding Embark to GNU ELPA.

[0] https://github.com/oantolin/embark
[1] https://github.com/oantolin/embark/issues/233
[2] https://github.com/oantolin/embark/issues/233#issuecomment-890383731
--