Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 18:34:06 +0100

On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 07:13:23PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 15:46:06 +0100
> > From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > >     int hi = 5;
> > >     int שָׁלוֹם = hi;
> > >     int hello = 10;
> > >     int السّلامعليك = hello;
> > >     myfun(שָׁלוֹם ,السّلامعليكم)
> > >
> > > There's no override here, but did I call `myfun` with args 5 and 10 or
> > > did I call it with args 10 and 5?
> >
> > ... the args are 10 and 5, because the whole arg list is RTL.
>
> No, they are 5 and 10

Er - you are right, of course.

>                        (assuming you read this left to right ;-)

:-D

> Move the cursor with C-f from myfun, and you will see which one is the
> first and which one the second.

Yes. I got confused at another point. No, wait! Now I see what
happened to me: the vim, where I'm editing this shows things in
the wrong order! It's not doing RTL at all. So while I thought
I was looking at what happens in Emacs, and not paying attention
at what my mailer shows -- somehow I was picking it up, subliminally.

So sorry for the noise -- and thanks for teaching me something.
And for your very special humour :)

Cheers
 - t