Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 18:06:41 +0100

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> TAB navigation is a bit odd.  When point is on the arrow or the heading
> after it, TAB toggles it.

Well, that's how outline-minor-mode works...  But perhaps there should
be a separation between how outline-minor-mode works in special-mode and
editing buffers -- TAB might make sense in editing buffers, but probably
not in special-mode buffers.  On the other hand, I'm guessing changing
this would annoy people used to it.

> Otherwise TAB moves to the next button, but
> skips over the arrows.  C-x ] doesn't move to the next arrow either, but
> one position before (so that RET doesn't work).

'n' does work more logically, though.

> I think TAB should always move to the next notable point, either an
> arrow or a button,

Yes.  It apparently not trivial -- adding button/category properties to
those buttons (which will make TAB try to take you to them) does not
work, probably because of the invisible text.

> and RET should probably toggle also if over a header line (unless it
> is over a button, where RET currently doesn't work).

Oh, RET on a button in an outline header doesn't work...  hm...  There's
something odd going on with the key bindings in *Help* buffers.

`C-h k RET' says that it's `newline' instead of `push-button' from
`button-map' -- except on the buttons (which do not have a `keymap' text
property).  How does that all hook up?